Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Thanksgiving Preparations

Well, Thanksgiving gets a lot of attention in our home
and this year is a biggie.

Our 21 yr. old son who has been off on an adventure in British Columbia
is flying home for the week!
It has been one year since we have seen him so needless to say.....
uh...
we are a tad excited!!

And our daughter has now moved back to Quebec to complete a masters degree
at the local university so she is here as well.
It just doesn't get any better.

So I guess that sort of wraps up all the "thanks" part in regard to our immediate family.
Lots of other points to consider and I promise I will be back for that.
But for now I just want to share with you a few of those
crazy things I seem to do when these large gatherings happen in our home.

First off,
floors upstairs have been driving me crazy.
Too costly to install new floors rights now
and the old pine floors are too far gone to sand and refinish
soooooo.....
paint.
I finally painted the floors a nice creamy white.
I only completed one bedroom and the hallway but I am really pleased with the results.

(Camera is still not charged...missing battery and charger for some time now....so low quality photos...sorry and hence the reason I have not finished a post on the magazine spread....coming I promise!!)
A photo posted by Anangloinquebec (@anangloinquebec) on


And the duvet cover that I made last year finally stands out against the creamy background.
It becomes the star of the show as I had always hoped.



Painting the floors was always something I imagined but could not quite get myself to take the risk and now,
well now I am wondering what the risk was!!


You might have noticed that I did not paint the walls.
I am going to live with that for now. 

So that takes care of painting for now, still need to paint the floors of the other two bedrooms
but that will have to wait until after Thanksgiving.

We have had such a late summer here that even the other night I decided to get in one last taste of our favourite summer chicken....


We picked up this great grilling gadget
this summer
and it has been such a hit for
butterflied chicken.

This one received a healthy dose of pesto and good....well, beyond good!!
Is that possible?

Anyway, I will be back with the photo spread once I get my camera figured out.
Just wanted to drop in for a quick visit.

Take care all.


9 comments:

  1. I really like the painted floors. Normally I don't, but yours are the perfect background for the lovely duvet cover! I do have a question ... I notice that your bed skirt pools on the floor (I noticed the hide-away cover for your washer/dryer also pools on the floor), so I wonder, is this a design preference unique to you, or something that is done a lot in your area? This is just a question and in no way do I mean it as criticism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, well that certainly is a good question. I think that perhaps it is a bit of a personal preference and a bit of a common design choice in this area. I am not sure it is an actual "trend" in our area, however, it has always been a look I have favoured. Perhaps if I had cats I would not choose this look but I love the softness that it lends to the overall feeling of curtains or bedskirts or whatever it may be. Probably not a choice for everyone but it certainly reflects me and my personality.
      I was hesitant about the painted floors too Jill. I was worried that I would regret it but given the state of the floors I am over the moon in love with this transformation. Everything feels fresh and ....well, let's just say that I have been walking around barefoot enjoying the sensation of these floors underfoot. Before I would have been worried about getting yet another sliver. :)

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you will have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your children home, especially your son after not seeing him for a year! I love the floors with white paint. It really brightens up the space and your beautiful duvet looks amazing. Have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving. When it is in Canada? I love your floors. I think painted floors are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your painted floor! Darn, just when I thought I had made a decision to oil the wood floor in my home office...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love painted floors as well. My older house in the country had all painted floors downstairs (the ones that were "waiting" for refinishing, and it always looked homey and warm. Also, not sure if you know this word, but you've "spatchcocked" your chicken; one of my favorite, quick ways to bake a whole chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I painted the 60's era hardwood floors in my upstairs. It's a lot of work but worth it. How wonderful that you could have both kids home for Thanksgiving. That's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in a farmhouse with painted floors, so I'm very comfortable with that look. If I had floors like yours I would have painted them, too. They look great, Donna! I really like the color you chose. Perfect for your home. That chicken is making my mouth water. Yummy! So glad your kiddos are home. Enjoy your time together! xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just had to let you know ... a full page in the Sunday newspaper (home decoration section) on "painted floors!"

    ReplyDelete

You can leave a comment....totally up to you....Yep, I do love it when you do!