Thursday, October 2, 2014

Boys Trip

It has been a struggle to get my office completed.
Immediately after initiating the process of finding me a table that could work as a desk,
and considering the possibilities of the room layout....
we were thrown into a whirlwind of preparation for a father/son voyage.

They were both invited on a "boys" trip to Greenland and Northern Labrador
which meant 14 days on a ship sailing through the fjords of Greenland
and then crossing the Davis Strait to Nunavut
and subsequently down the coast of Labrador
to Fogo Island and Newfoundland.

That meant planning appropriate attire for transport between ship and land....
Zodiacs are known for getting you wet and exposing you to the elements.

That is one of the zodiacs in the lower right hand corner of the image below.
Look closely. :)


It was one of those...once in a lifetime type of trips
and of course the fact that this was a father/son/uncle/grandfather trip....
made it even more special.

The subject matter is spectacular although the camera was fairly cheap so the quality is not great.
I sort of regret them not taking the digital camera but I had already replaced that camera after an adventure at sea....soooooo... cheap pocket version went on the trip.


I found myself wondering as I went through these images,
the impact this trip would have on my 20 year old son.
What is happening in the northern hemisphere
had certainly not escaped him but seeing it first hand is quite something.


I love this shot of him strolling across the tundra.
He has always wanted to see this part of the world since he was a small child.




I think the beauty is so raw yet majestically large.


I know they were glad that they took time to pack well.....woolies, rain gear....
The temperatures varied but for the most part they were well equiped.


I was glad to see they took some photos for me of the homes.
What a beautiful shot of Kangaamiut in Greenland with its wide array of colour.
Apparently this was a magical spot for them.


Nuuk, which was day 3 of their voyage, is also beautifully painted with colourful homes.
Apparently the storms that blow in off the North Atlantic don't allow for large panoramic windows.
Visitors by sea are certainly welcomed to shore by a beautiful display that apparently stands out at a distance.


Do you think those fences would keep out this big guy? (below)
Apparently this polar bear was eating a seal and not too interested in them.
They were fortunately on the boat at this point.


All in all, the trip of a lifetime.
And one that these two will remember for a long time to come.






8 comments:

  1. Wow! My husband went to Nunavet a few years ago and he was gob smacked by it all. What a trip! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a rare and wonderful expedition for them to go on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raw beauty indeed! What a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Love the photo with the colourful houses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that would be a beautiful trip to take. What great memories for 3 generations of men in your family. I love the colourful houses which must brighten up the landscape through the long winter months and, speaking of the landscape, it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so lucky to get to go on such an adventure. It would leave me speechless I believe. My two sons and two daughters would love to go on such a trip. Amazing really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so glad you shared some of the photos and the details of the trip. I don't know why, but I thought their trip was much earlier in the summer and long done. I love the russets and golds in the field your son is walking through. Is the one of the mountainish hill just below the photo of your son, a picture from the Torngat Mountains? I can't get over how cute the towns are in Greenland. Who, oh why do ours not look that cute. Ours look like we sent some bunkers north for everyone to live in. Sigh. Greenland is definitely on my must visit list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a magical trip and the views are breath taking.

    ReplyDelete

You can leave a comment....totally up to you....Yep, I do love it when you do!