Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Kitchen and Some Christmas Cookie Week Treats

I like to set the stage so to speak.
You know, music, decorations....
all a means to inspiring me as I bake for the holidays.

And sometimes it helps to remind me that the baking needs to go into those
pretty Christmas tins that I bought...

This year I joined the craze to use burlap.
A little late I know.
Has that trend passed?
Already?

 The pantry bathroom door received a treatment of fresh boughs and a bow as usual.


And the kitchen hood also got adorned with a fresh bough wreath held up by burlap.


Oh I am hoping Canon return my camera....real soon...what a sweet Christmas gift that would be.


And some bright Christmas tree ornaments are lining the large glass candleholder
on the island.

So, just a peek into the Christmas kitchen...more to come next week....
But, yesterday after many requests by my son 
I made a Christmas square that my mom used to make us and it was one of my favourites....

HELLO DOLLIES!!

Okay, this is just as easy as the Shortbread from yesterday
and easier than the Salted Caramel Squares from the first day.
And you can really play this recipe to your own preferences. I add a lot of chocolate chips but you can add less and up the amount of pecans or coconut. Some people may see the need to add 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk.
Does this make you nervous?
I love recipes that have an allowance for flexibility and creativity.
Don't worry, it will all work.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

INGREDIENTS
Crust
1 half cup of sugar (or not, the sugar helps the crust stay together better, but I prefer less sugar... also you may want to use brown sugar instead of white as it is a less crunchy crust)

2 cups of graham wafer crumbs
1 half cup of melted butter

 Filling
1 and a half cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup of white chocolate chips
1 and a half cup of unsweetened coconut
1 cup of chopped pecans
1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk


 1. Mix the sugar, crumbs and melted butter together and pat into the bottom of a parchment paper-lined baking pan. (9X13)

2. Bake the crust for about 15 minutes. Some people do not pre-bake the crust but I find it holds better if you are not including the sugar. Otherwise omit this step.

3. Mix all the filling together in a large bowl. You may want to heat up the sweetened condensed milk to make it easier to work with.

4. Spread the filling on top of the crust layer. This seems a bit tricky as you worry the crust is moving around but don't worry.

5. I throw a sprinkling of chocolate chips on the top now as an extra hit of goodness.




5. Bake for about 25 minutes until there is a golden brown colouring forming on the top.

6. Cool and cut with your pizza cutter.

OH and they may be gone before they hit the cookie tins.

 

Trust me...I am glad I took this picture!
Join these ladies below for more recipes.... possibly and probably a little more precise than mine.

13 comments:

  1. Your kitchen looks very pretty! I hope you get your camera back!

    The cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your country kitchen and I think burlap is here to stay! I love it! I was at a cookie exchange last nite and it was so much fun to share baking treats....these would have been a hit! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Donna, long time no see ;) Hope you are well. I really just love your kitchen and wow that door is amazing !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your wreaths and burlap bows. I too, got on the burlap bandwagon this year and made some bows for the wreaths and also put the burlap garland on the tree. Hello Dolly's are a favourite in our area too. I haven't made them in years though but I think I just might try your recipe for them. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made anything using condensed milk in years. I do remember it was delicious though. I've kind of had a hankering for coconut so I need to give these a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds super easy and I can tell from what goes into it that it is super delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me again, I forgot to say that your pretty kitchen looks wonderful with the fresh green boughs and the bows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Christmas decor! and that dessert looks amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I love your Christmas decor, Donna. I like the fresh greenery and pretty, simple bows. I also love the hurricane with the Christmas ornaments! :D

    I've never made these before, but I've had them and I love them! I'm pinning this one for my daughter, too.

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your house looks so pretty for Christmas and what a gorgeous kitchen! I have never made these before and I am intrigued to try them! Have a lovely weekend! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous kitchen you have!! And this square looks SO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we all get a bit lost drooling over your gorgeous kitchen, I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.
    Yes, this looks a very easy recipe, that wouldn't last long either. And I see your bulbs are growing and thanks to you, I've planted lots of paperwhites !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you really have been busy. And I couldn't stop staring at your kitchen. It's utterly charming.

    ReplyDelete

You can leave a comment....totally up to you....Yep, I do love it when you do!